Boiler AlkalinityBoiler Alkalinity products are used to increase the boiler water pH. The advantages of using alkalinity is to increase your boiler pH may be:
What is Boiler Alkalinity?
- Most industrial industrial boilers are made of mild steel or casting material. These metals corrosion rates are significantly reduced with higher pH waters.
- In high pressure boilers, > 300 psi, it is possible to plate of silica on your boiler tubes. You must maintain a 3:1 OH to Silica ratio to prevent silica plating within the boiler.
- Some internal boiler treatment programs require a water pH > 10.5 in order for the treatment program to properly minimize scaling tendencies within the boiler water.
The most popular chemicals used as boiler alkalinity are straight concentrations or blends of:
- Sodium Hydroxide - Cas No. 1310-73-2
- Potassium Hydroxide - Cas No. 1310-58-3